Poison

The digesting of any poisonous substance can be very dangerous and where there are children around, precautions must be taken to prevent them from getting in contact with anything that can poison them.

 

Everyday items in your home, such as household cleaners and medicines, as well as pesticides can be poisonous to children.

 

Medication not intended for children can also be poisonous if taken and especially if taken in large doses. Active, curious children will often investigate and they love to put things in their mouths.

 

Thankfully, there are ways you can help poison-proof your home and protect the children you love.

 

Key Prevention Tips

  • Keep all chemicals, household cleaners, detergents properly locked away out of the reach of children.

  • Use safety caps where possible.

  • Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and again, use bottles with safety caps where possible.

  • If the medicine is for the child be sure to put it away out of his or her reach as soon as you are finished with it.

  • Safely dispose of unused, unneeded, or expired prescription drugs and over the counter drugs, vitamins, and supplements. 

  • Some plants are also poisonous.  Make sure you know your household plants and keep any danger away from children.

  • When going to the beach, remember that some trees such as the manchineel are poisonous.  Do not let children touch these trees.

 

If you suspect that your child has digested a poisonous substance seek medical help immediately and especially if the child cannot stay awake, is having trouble breathing or is twitching and shaking out of control.

 

Do not try to make the child vomit.

 

If poison is on the child’s skin or clothes, remove the clothing and pour large amounts of water over the skin.

 

Wash the skin thoroughly several times.If a child gets poison in his or her eyes, splash clean water in the eyes for at least 10 minutes. 

 

Get medical help immediately and if possible take a sample of the poison with you. If a child is bitten by a venomous animal or insect it is important to see a health-care provider immediately for treatment.

 

If your child shows any signs that he or she might have been in contact with a poisonous substance, plant or medicine get immediate treatment.  It is always best to consult a medical professional.

 

Take any such matter seriously at all times.

© 2011 Barbados Children Directory

 

Contact us by  Email              barbadoschildrendirectory@gmail.com  
Inbox us via facebook            www.facebook.com/barbadoschildrendirectory

  • Wix Facebook page

Subscribe for our monthly newsletter